Your twenties are a time of freedom, self-discovery, and endless possibilities. It’s the perfect time to embark on exciting adventures and explore the world. In this article, I will guide you through must-visit destinations, effective trip planning, budgeting tips, and the ultimate travel mantra to make the most of your twenties.
Must-Visit Places in your Twenties:
As someone who loves exploring and discovering new places, I would highly recommend travelling to Southeast Asia in your twenties. Countries like Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia offer a perfect blend of adventure, culture, and natural beauty. These destinations are not only budget-friendly but also provide incredible experiences like trekking through lush jungles, swimming in turquoise waters, and immersing yourself in vibrant local cultures. Exploring Southeast Asia in your twenties allows you to embrace the spirit of adventure, try new things, and create lifelong memories. You can also consider some of the central Asian or Middle Eastern countries like Oman, Kazakhstan, and Jordan.
How to Plan Your Trip:
Planning a trip involves several key aspects, and having the right information beforehand can greatly enhance your travel experience. Here are some tips to plan your trip effectively:
- Research your destination to understand its attractions, weather conditions, and any cultural norms or customs you should be aware of.
- Create a rough itinerary outlining the places you want to visit and the activities you’d like to do. However, leave some room for spontaneity and flexibility in case you come across unexpected opportunities.
- Consider the duration of your trip and allocate sufficient time for each destination. It’s important to strike a balance between exploring popular tourist spots and discovering off-the-beaten-path gems. I would say ask your local taxi drivers, restaurant owners, reception staff, or local shop owners about things they like to do to get the best recommendations.
- Prioritise the activities that interest you the most. The trip should satisfy your personal curiosity about a place. So make sure to book any necessary tickets or reservations in advance, especially for popular attractions or events that are likely to sell out sooner.
- Use travel apps or websites to organise your itinerary, keep track of bookings, and access offline maps or travel guides on the go.
- Tracking your expenses during the trip and being mindful of your spending can help you stick to your budget.
Must-have experiences in the place you visit:
A must-have experience in any place would be to immerse yourself in the local culture, try local cuisine, and participate in traditional activities. This can truly enhance your travel experience from the point of view of someone who lives in this place. Engage in local festivals, visit markets, take cooking classes, or join a community project. These experiences allow you to connect with the destination on a deeper level and create lasting memories.
The Travel Mantra:
My travel mantra is to embrace the unknown, step out of your comfort zone, and make every journey a learning experience. Travel allows you to broaden your horizons, gain new perspectives, and create unforgettable memories. I love to seek the unknown. So talking to locals and finding hidden gems in a place is a huge part of my travel experience. For me personally, it’s important to be open-minded, embrace the local culture, and savour every moment. It may sound cliche, but it’s not just the destination but the journey itself that truly matters!
Originally published at Harper’s Bazaar on June 5, 2023.